Monday, January 14, 2013

Car Stunts and Racing Game Mechanics

So for my Game Design Class I've been tasked to find cool car stunts for a racing game my class will be working on. So I've searched high and low for clips of real life car stunts on Youtube and found this sweet trick.

Here's a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0QZTKWjNDo
(Watch the first 22 seconds in.)


It's a pretty impressive stunt that would look pretty cool somewhere in my level.

Next I found a great example of game mechanics helping or hindering players. The game I found this example in is none other that ModNation Racers.

Here's a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHOvMrLddr4

You'll notice that the track uses boost pads to both help and hinder player advancement. In most racing games that have a boost pad mechanic the pads usually are placed there to help the players catch up with fellow racers. In this example the map designers used these pads a little more cleverly. Some speed boost pads point directly into walls while others completely flip the racers around forcing them to stop immediately. The level also ambushes the players with hidden road blocks and barrel launcher cannons.

No comments:

Post a Comment